This is an open call for submissions of diverse opinions and experiences on the subject of guns, for inclusion in a final, collected post of entries where your thoughts will appear alongside others from around the world.
With the United States Senate today beginning a filibuster dialogue into the night concerning American firearm policy, and even Donald Trump meeting with the NRA about background checks, I wanted to try something a bit different. I am inviting everyone who wishes to write a personal account of their views on guns, whether strongly pro, vehemently against, or all the millions somewhere in-between.Whatever your stance, your experience can add to a fuller conversation. And, perhaps, some will find such an exercise helpful to themselves or therapeutic.
- Write approximately 300-400 words (I’m flexible) that gets at your position on guns. This can take a historical or legal look, an ethical stance, or a view of American gun culture as compared to the rest of the world. The route you take to this is open.
- I am looking forward to receiving views from many sides, but whatever you believe it must be well-reasoned, preferably with a nod to personal experience, or how you have come to your position over time.
- While any good essay can of course strongly criticize or be negative, I will not consider a piece that is largely comprised of a rant. I hope for this to be a chance to learn about other people in a constructive manner.
- As stated above, I am also very interested to get other nations’ perspective, but of course welcome all Americans as well.
- Submit your piece by the end of Sunday June17, 2016 (Without a specific time requirement, as this is a global call).
- Attach your short essay as a link in the comment section of this post.
- Finally, include in the comment section your name (or blog name) as well as the city, country, which will be included in larger the community post.
- I will contact all those that I have chosen for the post when the larger post itself is edited and published. This should go out no later than Saturday June 18th. Thank all, and I look forward to your submissions!
Thanks, and good luck writing!